Experiential Learning Support
The Faculty of Science supports experiential learning and international exposure for its undergraduate students. Financial support for undergraduate students to attend scientific conferences or international travel opportunities may be available to enhance the student experiential learning through research and/or internationalization related activities. Eligibility for financial support is based on specific criteria (listed below). For more information contact the Faculty of Science office (3230 Herzberg, 613-520-4388 or at odsciencecarleton [dot] ca)
Suggested base financial support for conference and international opportunity:
Domestic conference: up to $300
International opportunity: up to $500
Conference attendance requires presentation of a research project.
Eligibility criteria for conference travel
- The student must be currently registered in the Faculty of Science as an undergraduate student.
- The student must have completed at least 5.0 credits of study at Carleton University
- A poster or oral presentation is required to support conference attendance. No funding will be provided if a presentation is not made at the conference.
- In addition to the above requirements, the “request for resource” must be completed.
- After completion of the conference a brief report of the activities and benefits is required to be submitted to the Faculty of Science office (odsciencecarleton [dot] ca).
Internationalization related activities may involve a co-op work term or an organized exchange/transfer program that may occur over one term.
Eligibility criteria for an international travel opportunity
The student must be currently registered in the Faculty of Science as an undergraduate student.
The student must have completed at least 5.0 credits of study at Carleton University.
A letter of reference from a faculty member in the Faculty of Science is required for travel. The letter should describe the academic merit of the trip and benefits of broad experiences to the student. Please attach this letter of reference to your "Request for resources”.
After completion of the international travel, a brief report of the activities and benefits is required to be submitted to the Faculty of Science office.
How to Apply
Applications are considered on a case-by case and first-come, first-served basis. A fixed amount of funding is available for distribution each academic term.
Please submit your application as early as possible but at least one month (4 weeks) before the expected travel activity/event.