#BreakTheBias in Science
Film Screening and Panel Discussion
Hosted by the Science Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) Committee, Faculty of Science, Carleton University
This year, in recognition of International Women’s Day 2022, we invite you to #BreakTheBias in Science!
On Tuesday, March 8 at noon ET, scientists of different identities and experiences at Carleton University will come together in a panel discussion to share their own experiences and reflect on the acclaimed 2020 Tribeca Film Festival documentary, Picture a Scientist, which chronicles the groundswell of researchers writing a new chapter for women scientists.
Be among the first 50* registrants to participate in this discussion and receive a free personalized link to attend a virtual screening of Picture a Scientist.
*UPDATE: Due to overwhelming interest in this event, we have increased our capacity for the virtual screening!
Picture a Scientist Virtual Screening
As our guest, you will receive special access to our virtual theatre from Friday, March 4 to Sunday, March 6, where you can to view the film any time and as often as you like, in advance of our panel discussion. View trailer.
Register now to secure your ‘seat’ in our virtual theatre and attend the #BreakTheBias panel discussion. Registrants will receive a confirmation e-mail on March 3, 2022 that will contain relevant web links to access the event.
Engage with us on Twitter by tagging @CarletonScience / @aceEDIsci and use #CarletonScience and #BreakTheBias to join the conversation. We’d love to see members from the Carleton community striking their own Break the Bias pose!
Panel Event Information
Opening remarks: Rowan Thomson, Professor and Canada Research Chair, Physics Department Assistant Dean (Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion), Faculty of Science, Carleton University
Moderator: Kim Hellemans, Associate Dean (Recruitment & Retention), Faculty of Science, Instructor and Provost’s Teaching Fellow, Director, Stress, Trauma and Resilience Working Group, Carleton University
- Ahmed Almaskut, Instructor, School of Mathematics and Statistics, Carleton University
- Sonia Chiasson, Professor, School of Computer Science, Carleton University
- Maria DeRosa, Interim Dean, Faculty of Science, Carleton University
- Mathew Kent, CUSSP Facilitator and EDI Researcher, Equity and Inclusive Communities, Carleton University
- Rim Khazall, PhD Neuroscience Graduate, Carleton University
- International Women’s Day website
- Carleton’s EDI Committee on Twitter @aceEDIsci
- EDI Teaching Toolkit for Instructors
- ACE EDI Event Series
- Carleton University Women in Science and Engineering (CU-WISE)