We are pleased to announce the Faculty of Science Impact Awards (FS-IA). These awards are independent of the University Achievement Awards and recognize the impactful contributions of faculty and instructors in the overall performance of their duties. Up to three awards of $1000 each for faculty and/or instructors can be made each year; these will be announced at the annual Faculty of Science holiday event in December.
For professorial faculty, the award recognizes the individual’s contributions across teaching, research and service both to the University and to society. Instructors are recognized for their overall excellence in the areas of teaching, innovation, professional development and non-teaching duties.
Candidates can be nominated (with the nominee’s consent) by a colleague or by the department/school tenure and promotion committee, or may apply directly for the award.
Nomination/application deadline is November 30: Submit online application
The nomination/application dossier should include:
- A nomination letter/application statement (up to two page letter size with 12pt font size), speaking to all areas of activities and reasons for the nomination/application: excellence/effectiveness in teaching; significant contributions made in research (professorial ranks only); innovative contributions to teaching and/or administrative or curricular processes; administrative service to the University and service to the community outside of Carleton, with supportive examples and evidences of activities, initiatives, leadership roles, impacts)
- Nominee’s/applicant’s updated CV, detailing activities in the areas indicated in 1).
Applicants/nominees with eligible leaves of absence during the assessment period (e.g., medical, parental, eldercare) are invited to:
- Indicate the leave and the length of the leave*
- Extend the period of reporting back by the length of the leave (for example, an applicant for a Science Research Achievement Award with a leave of 6 months taken within the last 2 years would report on research accomplishments over the last 2.5 years)
Applicants/nominees with COVID impacts that resulted in career slowdowns but not formal leaves of absence:
- Indicate the approximate percent reduction in time due to COVID circumstances (e.g., 50% reduction in research time due to caring responsibilities) or impacts on activities (e.g., inability to undertake field work or experiments)*
*For both leaves and career slowdowns, stating the nature of the circumstances (e.g., medical, bereavement, family responsibilities, special, COVID etc.) is sufficient. No further detail is required.